Sunday, May 08, 2005

It's Looking Better



Luckily, the misthreading only involved four threads. This was a short warp, with only a 1/2 yard for playing around (or getting it straight, whatever) so I wound forward and cut the loop around the back rod, rethreaded and hung them over the back beam. I did three more pattern repeats (72 picks) and things finally look good. You can see a slight distortion where I rethreaded right now, I need to find something a little lighter for the weight. The little zigzagging about an inch up from the breast beam is where I will serge off and turn under. So much for sampling other treadlings. I'm hoping to get back down there today (after a little gardening) - I was planning on giving this baby blanket on Tuesday! The rubber bands on the treadles will help it go fast.

Josh left at 3:30 yesterday morning. I thought I could go back to sleep but the thought of the paper (the first major paper in over thirty years!) hung over my head. Why not get up and do it, then I'll have the rest of the day to play? Yeah. At 4:00 I was rearranging stacks on my desk. At 4:30 I was looking for my blue highlighter. By 5:00 I was cleaning my keyboard. At 7:30 I called Josh. He was around Richmond. Can you see the pattern? Finally, I finished at 4:00 PM after spending much of the time looking out the window at the absolutely gorgeous day I was missing! I just have to double check my citations today. Once I got started it went pretty well. Good thing, since I finish another course next weekend and have to go through this again. Another mature woman in my class told me the first one was going to be a bitch.

I spun and plyed some mystery roving. Damn, I wish I knew what it was. I'm sure there's some silk in there, maybe some alpaca too. It was from a little thank you bag I got at SOAR last year for lending them some equipment. It was a dream to spin. Hopefully there's enough for a little lacy scarf.




Josh called at 7:30. He was just getting to Port St. Lucie. Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. The weaving and spinning are beautiful. What a terrific mom you are! Supporting your son in the middle of your own pain from him leaving has to be difficult. Maybe I'll need you to teach me. Justin and Sarah think they'll have to leave the area when they marry in order to escape her controlling mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard when they leave. Some sort of displacement activity helps, but doesn't keep away the anxiety, does it? He'll be fine, but you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww. Maybe you should get yourself a nice present to distract you.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete