Sunday, January 07, 2007

To The Sea!

I'm quite secure in following my own path as I traverse through life, but show me a new tool, pattern, or book and my lemming tendencies shine right through!

I read that Carolyn wants to make Amy Butler's High Street Messenger Bag. Done. Pattern came yesterday. I'm not going to use it for my laptop though. I have a very cool backpack that also has a sling pouch for my laptop. What I need is a bag that will hold all the stuff I need when I'm taking care of my mom. Cell phone charger, iPod, etc. This is going to the head of the list.

When I heard someone mention micro-macram�n one of the DIY shows a couple of months ago I didn't think much of it, but then I saw Maus' new earrings. Before I could stop myself I was ordering the Joan Babcock's Micro-Macram�ewelry and Sherri Haab's Beaded Macram�ewelry. I quick order for some C-Lon and I should be in business by next weekend.

On one of my drives through blogland I saw a hat that I might actually wear. So I grabbed some handspun and started knitting Calorimetry. Since I have an absolutely huge head I tend to knit hats on the big side. Several years ago I posted this picture of a hat I crocheted for my sister (about 10 at the time). This was no exception. It's supposed to stretch out and meet at the nape of the neck with a button closure.



That's about an 11" overlap there folks.



Is anyone else thinking Mick Jagger??

But I really loved the way a rather blah ball of yarn knitted in this shortrow pattern, so I ripped it out and started over. I kept the size 8 needles which I felt produced a nice fabric. I cast on 80 stitches and short rowed until I had 28 in the center and 26 on each side. This fits perfectly but I couldn't get a picture with my cellphone so it will have to wait until I'm back from my mom's.

I finished another necklace yesterday. This was my own design. I did a base row and then three rows of scallops.



After the second row I was worried that it would be to ruffled but once I started on the third pass it started to look good.



I was going to do a square stitch across the base row but that distorted the neckline.



So I ended up going through the first row again for strength and added a pewter bead which stick ups a bit and looks rather like picot.







7 comments:

  1. Lemmings in blogland? Never! I prefer to think of it as a textbook manifestation of viral marketing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed seeing the beaded necklaces, perhaps feeling a bit lemming-ish myself.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Mick Jagger hat - so much I would have left it alone. The bead necklaces have entranced me all along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have tapped into why I have to purposefully limit myself and the amount of blogs I read. I would get so focused on this stuff that I wouldn't look up for days. Husband? Who's that? Children? Where are they? And so, as I don't buy sweets at the store cuz I'll stuff my face with 'em, likewise I leave many of the way-cool ideas hanging out in space for others to find and enjoy. Blinders....I need blinders.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. whine! My pattern has not yet arrived. Should be here any day now. Just to let you know, your blog and the beadwork therein caused me to buy another bead book at the store in Woodstock. Oy vey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been busy! I love it all, the placemats, beading and the Calorimetry is something I have considered trying if I ever get some extra time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You've been busy. Think of lemming-ness as supporting your fiber arts supplier community. Much easier to justify that way. :)

    ReplyDelete