Saturday, December 02, 2006

Fulling Makes the Blanket



I tried to take a picture that would convey the wonderful drape of this light, but warm blanket. I lost a few ends while weaving but it was easy to fix before twisting the fringe and fulling. The only problem was the selvages, they are a little ratty looking. I'll have to fix that before the next warp with this wool.



Because I was a little discouraged by the energy in the singles and a few broken warp threads I decided to just experiment with the fringe. Using the Conair Quick Braid I did 2 groups of 2 ends each on one end and 3 groups of 2 ends on the other. I really like the fuller, rounder fringe. It took a little more time, but it looked better than doing 2 groups of 3 ends. Just like the roundness of the three-ply that is still in process.



Kathy was spot on when she told me that I would love the texture in this singles blanket.



So now that I've decided not to ply the remainder but to try a twill doubleweave instead, I've got to figure a way to get a little more control over the yarn. I'm going to use one color for the entire warp so I will definitely be using B2F. I don't think I'll use the trapeze, although I really like it for cotton warps. Maybe sizing or spraying with hairspray to strengthen the yarn during the weaving process?


11 comments:

  1. I love the blanket. Would a solution of water and Elmers School Glue work for sizing? I do love using the Quick Braider for fringes, I actually bought two of them for $5 each at a $5 and Below store. One to use and one to hide away for safekeeping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS!!!
    I love fulling, which is good since most things in this house eventually end up in the normal laundry, whether they should or not...
    The play of the various depths of shade really give your blanket a special vibrance on the large scale. Close up there's the added spice of the slubs and nubs, color used as texture. I like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great from a distance but the close-ups are great!
    Funny thing about selvedges. Since I'm rarely satisfied with mine, I tend to look closely at those on other handwoven items. It's always a relief to see that most selvedges look, well, handcrafted. No one will notice yours from a galloping horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wonderful blanket...so pumpkiny and season appropriate. I can't wait to see the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blanket is wonderful! I can't wait until the holidays are over and I have more time to weave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, nice! Looks cosy and warm. Love the colors :-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blanket turned out so beautiful! The colors and everything about it are great. I'm glad you are happy with the hand of it and I knew you would love what singles do when fulled. Much more interesting than plied yarns but a challenge to work with. I bet the selvedges are not as bad as you think and I liked what Leigh said about looking handcrafted. Plus those active singles do quirky things as they round the corners at the edge so there is only so much that can be done to control them. Can't wait to see the next one you weave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!! I just LOVE plaid, and Your Colors make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i LOVE your blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blanket is really beautiful Charleen! I love the little flecks of color in there. Thanks for the tip on that Conair quick braider - I'd never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete