Saturday, May 10, 2003

MDSW

I had a great time at MDSW this year. My plan was to pick up a variey of fibers
to stretch my spinning abilities. I also wanted to get a book on needle felting
and some needles. Other than that, I was fair game!


I picked up some dyed Coopworth
locks
for some needlefelted tropical fish I want to make from Dyed Dreams.
The woman in the booth was demonstrating knitting right from the locks and was
getting a lot of attention.


Stony Mountain
Fibers
had brightly dyed roving
and needle felting supplies.
I also bought some cormo that was pin drafted by Ohio
Valley Natural Fibers
. Didn't figure you needed a picture of a coil of white
fiber! After seeing the nice job they did on Stony Mts. cormo, I went over to
talk with Don (?) about the Whitefish Bay corriedale. He explained to me how
the do the pin drafting and the difference between top and roving. I understood
it when he explained the different terms but don't ask me to explain it to you
<g>


At the Carolina
Homespun
booth I found some gorgeous Merino/Tussah
Silk
and a few ounces each of Silk Rayon Blend, Cultivated Silk, and Soy
Silk/Cashmere Blend. They were all natural colors.


Stopping by The Woolery
yielded 2 oz. of Camel/Silk Top and white Firestar and a deep blue/green/fushia
Metallic Mardigras.


Check out this gorgeous Bombyx top
from Chasing Rainbows Dyeworks. I don't know where I heard it, but someone mentioned
The Drafting Zone for processing. I stopped by their booth and picked up 8 oz.
of a 80 Romney/10 mohair blend
that they processed and dyed themselves. I figured it would be a good indicator
of their work. Somehow a pound of Brown Sheep roving also found its way into
my bag. Well, you know I need something to dye with.




No comments:

Post a Comment