Saturday, October 12, 2002

False Damask

I finally got a chance to play with my weaving. I'm still having some warp
problems, but I don't know if it's my loom or me! This is the first time I've
had all 10 treadles tied up, most with 4 harnesses tied to it, and I'm noticing
that when I press the treadle on the far left the heddle doesn't raise evenly.
The right side doesn't raise as much. Since I usually only had the four treadles
tied I didn't notice it. I think I'll also layer up some newspapers and spray
WD-40 on all the moving joints. After my misguided attempt to move heddles,
rsulting in them all landing on the floor, I steel wooled all the metal strips
that hold the heddles on all 8 of the harnesses, so they now just glide across.
Maybe that will help.

I have only a little warp left on the false damask tie up, so I thought I'd
try out some contrasting colors, rather that the white/off-white that was suggested.
Treadling with no repeats, treadling 4 times 1-4, then 4 times 5-8. Then I did
all 1-4 which gives the stripe. I like the look of the colors, although the white/off-white is cool too. If you
have WinWeave,
you can download the file.



Here's another problem that I have been encountering - maybe someone has a
suggestion. I've started using vinyl slats from some old blinds to separate
the towels. I keep getting the thread from the shuttle stuck on it. In the picture
on the right you can see the slats almost reading to wind on. Before that point
both the tie on rods and the slats catch my thread and my smooth rhythm is violently
stopped. There's got to be a way to keep that from happening.


No comments:

Post a Comment