Sunday, June 15, 2008

Twill Thoughts

I think that it's time to put the loom puzzle on the back burner and use this week to focus on some real weaving. The time spent weaving will should give me some insight on the workings of my handmade loom.

Here's the plan. 8/2 warp spun cotton from WEBS, Alabaster, sett at 24epi.



Each blanket will be a little different, changing weft colors and/or size.

2-2twill-1.jpg

I have some 3/2 that is the same color as the warp. I was thinking of using that for the one pick of cream and keep the three picks of green the same size as the warp OR have one pick of a thicker green and keep the three picks the same color and thickness as the warp.

2-2twill-2.jpg

I saw this in Dixon's book and I think it gives a sort of cobblestone effect.



I'll probably keep to the 8/2 for this weft but I put enough warp on to experiment at the end and I want to see how 5/2 or 3/2 would look with this draft. It might be a nice placemat weave.



I don't know about you, but I think it's time for a Jackson update!



Somebody turned one last week. He was thrilled with the Elmo cake Mommy baked and Daddy decorated but not so thrilled with the surrounding hordes of singing relatives. To keep from freaking him out completely I sang very quietly!



Since he never had cake or icing before it took him a minute or two to figure out what he was supposed to do. But it wasn't long before he looked like Elmo's twin. Luckily (?) the temperature as in the 90s so it was right into the kiddie pool for a quick clean up before opening presents.



The next day was spent relaxing and getting over the pressure of turning one.

4 comments:

  1. The heck with weaving, give me more Jackson! He the cutest, sweetest Dude I've seen in a long time. I love the final photo. Almost like a Maine fisherman...watermelon and all. Great eyes. I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, one already! How time flies!
    I love twills. They are so versatile on the loom. This never ceases to fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If turning one means getting cake (and a cute one at that) plus being so absolutely adorable...then I'll learn to live with the pressure!
    Of course, I don't think I'll see year one again. But I could still eat cake, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One already!?! He is sensible about singers during the cake ritual - one must not be distracted from essentials.
    Love the way your basement studio is coming together.

    ReplyDelete