Thursday, January 29, 2004

Annoying Comments

Although mine aren't personal, like Carolyn's, they are intrusive. Anyone know how to keep these bottom-feeders from filling up comments with ads? I've been deleting them and then banning the IP but it gets a little tedious. One overzealous jerk commented on every entry going back to my first MT post. For that I went into the database and sorted them by author then deleted them in chunks. I thought I read about something you can add to MT to allow you to delete right from the email notice you get - can't find the reference right now.

I really shouldn't be whining considering what could have happened to me today. I took the Asian American Club to Chinatown for a New Year's luncheon (a little late, but snow got in the way!). I was walking down Arch St. and something shiny caught my eye. I looked up and saw a humongous piece of ice plummeting to the ground. It had to be 5 feet long, maybe 15" wide and about that deep. It crashed about 4' in front of me. The kids were all about 20 feet in front of me, waiting on the corner for the buses. You should have seen the look on their faces! Good thing I was carrying 85 lucky red envelopes.

5 comments:

  1. hi! i think there is something called MT Blacklist. maybe if you check the movable type forums there is a link to it or something. i have just been going through and deleting them also. but i haven't gotten them to every single entry. oh and i forgot, i have been going back and "closing" comments on my old entries but that is a pain in the butt takes forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you missed "death by ice chunk"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy! Can't help witih MT, but glad you weren't conked by an iceberg. (I saw something very similar happen one time, but it was a football sized chunk of concrete coming off of a rooftop...) It missed me completely but did come very close to a man walking about a yard ahead.
    Btw, are you Asian American? (I just realized I don't know your last name.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Carolyn, I installed Blacklist so hopefully the comments will be caught.
    No, June, I'm not Asian American, but I've been the advisor since the club was started (about 8 years ago). I've really enjoyed it.
    I guess I really was lucky - there was a guy on the news last night who was hit by a chunk falling off the Bellevue Hotel (he survived)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeeeek! Red envelopes rule.

    ReplyDelete