Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tying One On

I feel like I'm coming home! I haven't had towels on my loom for more than a year and I've missed it!  Bright and cheery log cabin towels are the next project.


I've woven a lot of towels for presents and I try to keep at least one towel for me.  One of the joys of weaving, or really making any household item, is the pleasure of using something for everyday chores that was made with purpose.  I also think about the recipients as I work.  Later when I pick up this yellow and red towel I will smile and think of my son and his family.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Baby Quilts

In between sessions at the loom finishing up the last two scarves I've been getting some new baby quilts put together.

I was wandering through YouTube this winter when I stumbled across a tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Company for making a tumbler quilt out of 5" charm squares. This is made from Sandy Gervais' Lollipop. I'm going to put a narrow border (1.5") with the marbled blue in the top picture, a wider border with the brown fishies fabric (middle in the bottom photo), and the backing will be the green lollipops in the top photo.

This one is for my new granddaughter, who will be making her appearance in November.  I used AmandaJean's Stacked Coins pattern but added an additional 4" border to make the top 48"x58"  Unlike what you see in this hanging from the I-beam of the basement photo, the colors of these Sugar Pop fabrics are crisp and clean.  The sashing is Moda Snow.

I had a request from Dan for new kitchen towels so some winding was done too.

The plan is for two log cabin towels, two with just yellow weft and two with the red.  We're heading up to Long Island for Labor Day.  That gives me 18 days to get them on the loom, woven, and sewn up.  With school starting on the 29th it could be close. 

Friday, August 05, 2011

We Have Some Weaving Here!

I was having some problems with the end warp threads shredding on this Alpaca/Silk scarf.  Believe it or not it's the first time I've woven anything so narrow and I wasn't sure what was causing the problem.  I'm thinking it might have been the old 10 dent reed with some rust spots on it.  It works for my cotton towels but this is a much softer yarn.

So I cut the first one off and resleyed with a stainless steel 5 dent reed.  It's going much smoother now.  Cutting off the first one gave me a chance to wet finish and check the drape before going on to the next one.  20 epi with a 2/2 twill gives this a great hand!

The second scarf is the same as this.  I'm trying out a 1/3 on the third and final scarf.