Friday, December 15, 2006

Look What I Found

I opened a little used drawer last week and rediscovered a sweater that was almost done. I started it in 1998. I know that because I have the Knitware directions with a start date of January 8, 1998. Four years ago, after Claudia asked everyone to share their UFO's (see 9/16 entry). Sunday I devoted a couple of hours to seaming and sewing the button band on. Now I know why I love knitting sweaters in one piece. I HATE sewing sweater pieces. The band is a little wonky at the top of the button side, but I can fix that. I need to get buttons and it will be ready to go. The stitch definition of Bendigo Colonial is fantastic. I forgot how much I liked this yarn.



I don't know if this actually qualifies as Cooking with Intention, but after making a double batch of the Cheddar Broccoli Soup and a double batch of Vegetable Beef Soup I knew I had to make something to satisfy my mom's sweet tooth. Carrot cake baked as cupcakes with cream cheese icing.




3 cups grated carrots
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup crushed pineapple -- well drained
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup walnuts -- chopped
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325. Line muffin tins with paper or spray with Pam.

In a large mixing bowl beat eggs until well blended. Add sugar, oil, carrots, pineapple, and vanilla.

Add flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Spoon into pan. Bake for 25 minutes.

Dust with 10X sugar or frost with cream cheese frosting.

I got 24 cupcakes and enough leftover to fill two large custard cups. For those eagle eyed readers, Josh got to one before I could snap the picture. The containers are waiting to be filled with soup!

No picture, but I made some Cheddar Onion Bread to take in too. It's great right out of the oven or toasted later on. I use my bread machine through the first rise.

1 1/8 cups milk
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup grated onion
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
3 1/3 cups bread flour
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Heat milk to 80 degrees. (30 seconds on high). Add ingredients to bread pan in order. Set for dough. Remove dough, punch down, knead gently and form into loaf. Oil bread pan and roll dough until lightly coated with oil. Cover and let rise until doubled. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until internal temperature is between 190 and 195.

7 comments:

  1. OMG, how funny! I wish I could open drawers and find nearly completed sweaters in my house! You must have been kind to the sweater elves this year.
    The carrot muffins look fab - I love when they're made with pineapple bits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! Great way to finish off the year - with a new sweater, and one you didn't have to do much work on to finish it up!
    I will have to try the carrot cake with pineapple. I love carrot cake - bet I'll like this rendition too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the found sweater - and Bloglines has let me down - look at all the stuff you've done and I missed out on seeing! The beads and the shawl are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny that you actually forgot about that sweater...LOL. It's lovely!
    Hmmmm the cheddar bread sounds yummy! I must give it a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stick a fork in it...its done! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipies. I'm trying them both out today.
    Kaz

    ReplyDelete