In order to steel myself for the daunting task of cleaning up the basement studio I sat down to sample my three ply sock yarn made from my stash blend.
Maybe I put too much twist in the singles? I seem to remember someone saying that you need less twist in the singles for a three ply. I could get a yarn that looked good, but all the samples had so much twist in the finished product that I predicted socks that twisted up under the arch.
I finally came up with a winner. The addition of a little mohair gives a nice halo and will help strengthen the yarn, along with making a warm pair of socks.
I spent several hours downstairs going through my stuff. I tried to come up with a system for storage separating ready to spin fibers, fibers for blending, luxury fibers, handspun yarn (all other yarn is stored in the attic) and fabrics, divided between hand dyed, quilting, and clothing. Thinking I was on the road to organization I turned around and remember the bags of washed wool and a few bags of dyed and ready to be carded wool. Believe me, this picture minimizes the pile. There are twenty-one bags with washed fleeces that vary from a 2.5# Shetland to a 5.5# Romney. All dye equipment has been relegated to the bathroom. Today's job is to put up shelves to hold the syringes and measuring tools.
I didn't get Sarah's towels finished for her open house, but I'm on the last one now. While weaving I've been planning my version of a warping trapeze and the next warp to be woven.