Saturday, January 01, 2005

Found

Just in case I didn't have enough irons in the fire, I decided to see if I could find my old KnitSmart knitting machine. I packed it away when I started teaching full-time, 10 years ago. I found the machine pieces in the attic and the keyplates in the basement. Now all I needed were the transfer tools, claw weights, etc. Where did I put them? I could picture a yellow plastic lunch box. I started in the basement. Found a pink My Child and a red Transformers box. Headed upstairs and looked in the hall closets, then up to the next floor where I looked under my bed (hard to see to the middle of a king-size bed - way too many dust bunnies), in the closets, and then up to the attic.

How do I describe my attic? Let's begin with the fact that I have four kids in their twenties, who have moved in and out several times. They also seem to be abnormally attached to their childhood teddy bears, baseball cards, and paper back series (Sweet Valley High, etc). However, they are not attached enough to actually move them to their homes (oh yeah, two still live here!) Eventually I found it. Rainbow Brite.

I put everything together, after cleaning off 10 years of dust, and it worked like a charm. I knitted up this tote in less than 2 hours, including the pocket and handles. Sewing it together took almost as long! Into the washing machine it went.



I made a folded hem (in red) but it didn't full as much as the rest of the tote - gives it a bit of a ruffle. The pocket should have been a little narrower and a little deeper. Oh well, live and learn.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

8 comments:

  1. Catherine5:28 PM

    ummm, I still have my teddy bear. He's older than your kids. Cute bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to find an old toy! I may have to go look for my ISM parts now. Happy New year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that same Rainbow Brite lunchbox! My 4yo got a brand new insulated nylon lunchbag for pre-school this year, but enjoys using her older sisters' (19 & 21) RB and Sailor Moon boxes. Go figure. Oh, we also still have my son's red Transformers box. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that? Just 2 hours...hmmm... wonder if those machines are for sale on ebay? :) the bag is really neat. Happy New Year - you write a cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie Smith6:47 AM

    I have some helpful websites, for the Bond knitter, which is the same as the old Knit Smart. They have free patterns, and the tools and helpful people on them, also. Yahoo has some great websites for the machine knitters. Hope it helps. http://www.knittingtoday.com http://www.sumi-soft.com/yarn/new/homepage.htm
    The first one is for mid-gauge machines, the second is for standard gauge and electronic machines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie Smith6:50 AM

    Wal-Mart carries the machines, as does EBay. When you are talking about knitting machines, get all the information you can on them, as there are a variety of machines, and capabilities. I have a punch card machine. It is older, but still works great. It makes the lace stitches and the picture stitches by itself. I don't have to move any stitches around. And then there's the electronic ones....way too pricey for me.(sigh) email me for any info you may need at dj38456@hotmail.com I'll help you as much as I can!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Charleen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathie Stamou7:33 AM

    I need some advice. If anyone has experience in this matter - I am interested in buying a reasonably priced knitting machine. There are so many styles. Is there something out there around $200.00 (reasonably portable) that does regular, chunky, ribbing and cabling? And does not take a brain surgeon to use.

    ReplyDelete