Thursday, August 22, 2002

First Towels

I cut my losses (literally) on the towel project and took it off. The warp
was twisting more and more as I went on, leading into tension problems. The
right fourth of the warp was loose and spongey, while the left fourth was extremely
tight, and the middle was good. I have the Peggy Osterkamp's books and I'm going
to try a shorter warp, and use the kite stick like she suggests.


I lost 3.5" in width which puts them a little too narrow for the exchange,
which really isn't a problem, since I want to keep these first three. I made
two green (8/2)with one treadling and one rust(8/2) with another. The warp was
natural(6/2). I folded them over partially so that you could see the two patterns.


















There were a couple of problems (but I'm still pretty proud of them). One side
of the rust towel is about 1.5" longer than the other. But I figure it's
because the warp was so loose on that side by the time I got to the rust. Another
problem was the hem. I've read that people use sewing thread for the plain weave
part. That seemed so drastically thinner that I just used the same 8/2 cotton
for the plain weave - but even before I hemmed it you could see how the plain
weave portion was wider (by about .5"). I tried to make sure the was very
little pressure on the foot so that it wouldn't increase the width any more.
I guess the next time I'll try the sewing thread.


Now for the next warp. This time I'm doing broken twill. I'd love to put a
four thread plain weave on each side, but can't figure out how to do that so,
looks like I'll be trying floating selvedges.



No comments:

Post a Comment